It seems that whenever we delete an app off of our Macs we always have a few files left over. This really bugs us, so we did some research and found a few different ways to remove Mac apps, and all of their files.
The first method is using an app called AppZapper to remove your app. This application does retail for $12.95 (www.appzapper.com), but in our opinion, we think that it’s completely worth the money. Here is how you do it.
1. Open App Zapper, This is pretty straightforward, just search it in Spotlight or open it from your dock.
2. Once AppZapper opens up, you will see that the app is pretty basic, and that the only thing you really have to do is drag the app that you want to delete into the AppZapper as shown below.
3. If you don’t like the “drag and drop” feel of this application you can click the slider at the top of AppZapper. This will show you a list of all of the Applications on your Macintosh. This view is nice because you can sort by size or by when you last used the App.
The second method of completely deleting apps off of your Mac is by using a free application called App Trap. App Trap will install as an addition to your preferences pane. This means that in order to use the application you must launch System Preferences. We will now walk you through the process of using App Trap.
1. After you have downloaded App Trap from the developers website (http://onnati.net/apptrap/) launch System Preferences by searching it in Spotlight or open it from your dock.
2. When you open System Preferences, look under the “Other” category and look for AppTrap.
3. Once you open App Trap you will see a screen that says “Start App Trap”. Click this; this will enable App Track to run on your Mac.
4, Once App Trap is enabled you will be able to use Mac OSX’s built-in trashcan. The only difference is when you empty the trash you will notice that a popup window appears. The popup wants to confirm that you want to move all of the App’s associated files to the trash as well. (Note: This window will only appear when you are clearing the trash and have an app in the trashcan)
We hope this tutorial helped, If you have any other ways to do this please leave your solution in the comments.