iMessage is Apple’s new proprietary iOS-to-iOS messaging service which is available for all Macs and iOS devices. With iMessage, you can easily send text, videos, and photos to your friends and family absolutely free of charge.
While iMessage is relatively easy to set up, some users may get lost in the process. That’s where we come in! In this tutorial we will be showing you how to set up iMessage on your iOS device. Before you start, make sure your device is fully updated and running iOS 5 and that you have an active Apple ID (iTunes account).
1. To start, launch the Settings app on your iOS device. Once it has completely launched, scroll down until you see the option labeled Messages. Tap on this option.
2. Look towards the top of the screen, where you will see a slider labeled iMessage. Make sure this is set to On. You will now be prompted to sign into your Apple account.
3. You can now configure the rest of your iMessage settings which include the following:
- Receive At: This option allows you to add multiple email addresses to receive iMessages. This is extremely useful if you use multiple email addresses for work and home. You can also choose which address you would like to use as you “Caller ID” for iMessage.
- Send as SMS: Enable this option if you would like your iMessage to send as an SMS (text message) if iMessaging is unavailable. This may happen if you lose data access or have mobile data deactivated.
- Show Read Receipts: When activated, the author of the iMessage which you have received will be notified once you’ve read his or her message.
And that’s it! You will now be able to send free messages to your Mac and iOS buddies. That concludes today’s tutorial. Make sure to come back tomorrow for more Apple news, reviews and tutorials!