Switching To Mac Forums
August 22, 2014, 02:37:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JUMPING SHIP - need a push!  (Read 19249 times)
Knigar

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2007, 07:51:18 AM »

I am a techno geek,

In my room where my sh*tty pc used to live I have a imac and now with space on the floor for my feet now as there is no annoying tower in the way. Next to my imac I have a 32" Panasonic Viera flatscreen tv which my mac is hooked up to through mini dvi-dvi then dvi - hdmi. IT IS NICE!!! I also have a Nintendo wii (connects through scart), PS2 (RGB) & Xbox 360 (Component), I really want an amp that can handle all my components and just have one connection from the box to then connect to my tv through hdmi in the tv but they are very expenseive if I want them to have HDMI's aand all teh component inputs and outputs, I also want a surround sound setup liek 5.1/6.1 or 7.1.

Back to what I was going to say the Pc was noisy when I had it and teh Mac is very quiet. the 360 sounds like it wants to take off everytime I turn it on. I can't believe just how quiet the imac is, but i do know it generates a lot of heat.

For the Mac users that are in the know is the iMac or mac computers in general, are they economically friendlier than Pc's or teh same?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 07:53:59 AM by Knigar » Logged
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 09:58:12 AM »

Okay, the comcast website has some pretty good step by step instructions for connecting the mac to their internet service. Gonna try those before I bother to call the boneheads at customer service. I think I might be able to configure everything before I have to go out tonight.

Do you use the .MAC ? I'm wondering if a 99 dollar a year subscription is worth it or not. I like the idea of the mac.com email address, and the net iDrive, but my ISP provides webspace and storage online right now, and I don't use it - and, I already have an e-mail account as well as Gmail.

I may be needing some guidance setting up my user accounts (like I said above, for admin & me).

How do you open the DVD/Optical drive when something bad happens? Like when the keyboard eject button doesn't do it, or a disk gets jammed in the drive? I don't have a second optical drive, but if there's only one button to open the drive bay door, how does it know which one you want to open? A combination of the eject key and some other key? (Just curious about that.)

I have a cannon usb scanner which I can't find the disk for, I haven't hooked it up yet. I have several cannon supplied scanner utilities that I use and like a lot. The scanner documentation shows mac stuff, so I know it's compatable. Until I find the disk, will I be able to scan in OSX without the cannon supplied scanner software? I mean is there scanner software in OSX?

"Imagination is a dangerous thing."
Newly Hatched MacZombie

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 10:49:08 AM »

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy! lol So your PC died just before Mac arrived also? Maybe yours and mine decided to do away with themselves, knowing that once we laid eyes on the Macs, they'd be living on borrowed time anyway! I see you have all kinds of questions too, just like me, although yours are of a higher caliber. lol Anyway, I'm so glad you got it and I'm sure everything will be humming along just fine in the next couple of days.  It does take a while to get familiar with this thing, I'm realizing. I feel like I never had a computer before at all! The folks on here will help us both, I'm sure, and keep us posted on what's going on. Grin
Mike K
Administrator

Hey!

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 03:23:18 PM »

Knigar:
Congrats! I would expect the Macs to be similar to a PC as far as environmental resources, the actual hardware is much the same as a PC. That said, I firmly believe you can get stuff done faster on a Mac meaning you will spend less time with it on so less impact on the environment! But then again you may have so much fun with your Mac that you can't pull yourself away form it therefore using more resources...

vangogh62:
This may take a while...
Do you have Apple Care? I can't remember... If you do then you have unlimited calling (3 Years) support for exactly the questions you are asking and your Apple Care also covers your Apple monitor! Take advantage of this if you paid for it.

Internet:
Your Mac Pro does not come standard with a WiFi card (you probably know that but just incase...) So unless you had one installed then you will need to use a Network cable. The Mac will automatically pickup an IP using DHCP from your router, some Internet Service Provider need to have the Mac (Not a Mac only thing) address registered before they will work with a new computer on your setup. For email and other account setting you will need to talk to your ISP but even without this you should at-least be able to srf the web.

Software:
Older OS 8-9 stuff will not work on your Mac Pro.

Accessories:
-Which mpeg converter do you have?
-The wacom tablet should work just fine, I am using one right now. Go to their Website and download the latest drivers for your Tablet. Apple has a built in Utility in the System Preferences called Ink that works with tablets.
-For your Cannon scanner I would go to the Cannon Website and download thier latest software for your device, I recommend getting the latest drivers for any device even if you just purchased it as things can get updated even before it leaves the Manufacturers warehouse. OS X supports cameras extreamly well but not Scanners the sames way, probably because Scanners are all so different, no real standardization.

.Mac:
I think .Mac is cool, I use the iDisk, can access it from anywhere from a Mac or PC with an Internet connection, I use iSync to get my Calendar-Address Book and Email in the same manor, I post all my iLife content to the web just by clicking one button in most cases, I use teh free Backup program as my main backup solution. I also use teh .Mac email for all my personal email, I like teh way I have a hard version on my Mac and a web version online, both email interfaces look and behave exactly the same. Now if you won't use any of this then it is expensive.

Optical Drive:
Not totally sure on this one, can you hook open the drive bay door and then have access ot the actual drive buttons?
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2007, 06:55:31 AM »

I am online with it now! Finally! I still have something wrong with my e-mail setup. I have configured it exactly as it said on the comcast website, but yet I am still having a problem connecting to the mail server. I'm sure that my mail box is quickly filling up with junk. I'll try again later, I'm still a tad hung over from last night. Untill I get it worked out, I'll just use the web based e-mail.

Yes, I do have applecare. It comes with 3 months and then I bought the 3 year package, because I know I'll need it, and yes - I definately will call apple for help today.

I did not have a wifi card installed, nor, the airport thingy. I ma the only computer literate person in my house, so there's no need for any wireless network. (Untill I get my appleTV, my macbookPro, and my iPhone!) No I'm just kidding, but I think that I am MAC convert, and a windows refugee, for good now.

More coffee. (Maybe an Advil too!)

I recieved mucho hassles from my buddy who just purchased 6 PC's for his office... each at over 4k, to run the same setup as me for autocad, dual screens and such. He was calling me "macBoy" all night long! I told him as soon as I get my car washed, I sticking the apple sticker in my rear window! Maybe I'll buy an "Element" then I'll really be on the swishy side... No, the Element is ugly. Sorry, I can't go that far!

More coffee.

I really need to get my rebates filled out and ready to mail before I miss the deadlines. I hate that, but I'll like to get checks in a month or so!

The drive doors can be forced open by pulling on them with my finger, but, as far as I can see, there are no face buttons on it. Not a big deal, its just that I've had my PC's refuse to give up a disk one or two times, and I have tendencey to go :"oh yeah, take this you ****!" and just force it out.

Getting the thing set up was a problem, because I had misjudged the size of my computer desk. I had to make some "modifications" to the desk to get the box to fit on it. Modifications means ripping the shelves off and the backplate, and putting 4 years worth of nick nacks and papers and bills and stuff 'somewhere else'. Not a pretty sight. I spent most of that night doing that and when I finally got the mac all hooked up I was tired and pissed off. But, now I have the rest of the weekend to play, as long as Rah-Rah (my daughter) will let me. I am really glad that I can at least get to you guys - I need to have my hand held while I go thru this transition!

More COFFEE DAMIT!!! (Guess I gotta get it myself.)

Right now my desk is covered with all of the old junk, the new junk, and of course all my printouts and notes for setting up the mac. Speaking of mac, Mike, I thought the MAC Address was unique to my cable modem, not the computer? I mean, if I was networked, any computer would be able to connect to the mail without having to call my ISP and provide them with a MAC Address for each computer? I will call comcast before I call apple then, maybe they do need this information from me. Where do I find the MAC address in OSX?

Zombie, I'm sorry you had to walk in the cold to SoHo. That's NYC for you though... you don't drive anywhere, you walk or take a taxi, or the subway. I could imagine being on the subway with a bigass apple box. I'm sure you wouldn't last very long! I forgot if you said what it is you do for a job? Are you an artist? In publishing? Or do you live in SoHo for the liberal community? I had at one time looked into working in Manhattan, but the commute and the city tax was not worth the money they wanted to pay me. I haven't been in the city since before 911. I miss it.

My mpeg converter is a ADS TECH "DVD Express" USB. I went to their website, and as far as I can see, it has no OSX compatability. But, I do have an ATI Radeon XT1700 X video card, and that may have built in coversion abilty. I haven't bothered to look at the card or the documentation yet. (I wanna get those rebate forms filled out this weekend, before I worry about stuff that I don't need to work immediately.)

I find myself making many typo's trying to get used to this little itty bitty keyboard. This is going to make working in windows and autocad difficult because I rely on keyboard shortcuts and command line instructions a lot while I am drafting. I don't look at key board while I am drafting, so it's a hand postioning thing while I'm working. If the keys are different it's a problem - especially when I return to work and have to use a standard PC keyboard. (I guess with time I'll get used to it.) I notice Mike, that you alway typo "TEH" for "THE" which is kinda what I do... my fingers get behind what I'm thinking, and the stuff gets typed out wrong.

vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2007, 07:50:48 AM »

Okay, the mail is driving me crazy. I can SEND e-mail, but I can't recieve e-mail. I've configured the email preferences like 80 million times now. I see that I have set the outgoing mail correcty, correct port, password, etc., but the incoming mail server is befuddling me. I have entered my password, and changed the server ports back and forth a as many times as well. This what comcast tells me:

Outgoing Mail: smtp.comcast.net
Incoming mail: mail.comcast.net

Outgoing Mail: Port 587
Incoming Mail: Prt 110

Username: vangogh***
Password:*********

The mail accounts windows do not look like the screengrabs from their website, although they specify they are for OS 10.4 I've been able to figure out these settings places on the mac email, but for some reason no matter what I try I can't not get to my mailbox. Help! My hair is almost gone.

vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2007, 07:57:41 AM »

I think I may have figured out my problem. Where do I find the settings for INCOMING mail server & port. Mail seems to be using the correct server, but the wrong port. (Its using the outgoing mail port) In Mail/Prefernces/Accounts, there is no place for me to change or specify the INCOMING MAIL server PORT. I can specify the incoming mail server name, user name, and password. I can't find a place for the port setting. At the bottom of the dialogue box, there is the OUTGOING mail server setting, which DOES let me specify a port. (Hence, I am able to send mail but not recieve.)

vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2007, 08:13:30 AM »

Nevermind! I found it myself. (I am so freaking brilliant!) Grin

Kev
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2007, 08:26:00 AM »

Congrats! Just give it all some time. Once everything's up and running I'm sure you'll enjoy your Mac a lot more. You say your coworkers are giving you a hard time about switching, I know exactly how you feel. I've been a Mac user for about 10 years now and heard junk from both friends and family but I just ignore them. I think deep down they're just jealous!
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2007, 08:41:12 AM »

Yaeh, mostly I think it's about the money, and the image. I like to be different though. Freddy, the dude just bought the 6 pc's for his office, is sort of the PC guru at his office, the dafcato systems administrator sort of.  Another friend has a business building and repairing PC's and he was at the party last night too, he's more curious about how I like it, how fast it is, about UNIX and the technical stuff. He says he gets call about people wanting service on their macs, and he has to turn that bsuiness away because he doesn't do MAC. He said he might buy one to begin learning how to repair and work with them. I think thats a good idea.

Any suggestions on a good news reader? Not RSS, a usenet type newsgroup reader. I used to use Forte Free Agent for the usenet stuff on windows. Or in windows, you can use outlook and outlook express as a news reader. anything already in my Mac OS that does that?

Mike K
Administrator

Hey!

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2007, 12:05:23 PM »

Sorry vangogh62, I don't do the Usenet reader thing so I don't have any firsthand advice but checkout some of these ones...

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?PHPSESSID=0223e5eec833f43a031107da83d17c25&mode=basic&action=search&str=usenet&srchArea=mac%7Cosx&x=0&y=0
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2007, 07:21:26 PM »

Yeah, I went to versiontracker, and that led me to some other mac sites. I didn't download anything yet, cause I just want a nice free one, and don't want to make any weird choices. It can wait anyway, the importnat internet apps are set up: Safari & Mail. I'll worry about news groups and FTP later on down the road.

I bought a big fat book: OSX The Missing Manual. It's huge. Looks like it covers a lot though. That's the way I learned DOS back in the olden days, I'm sure I'll eventually get the hang of the way mac does things. I'm already starting to go, 'Oh, so it's like this...'

I set up an admin account, and a user account, but I am confused as to how I can install an app as admin, and then make it accessable to the user account? I have the parallels pre-installed, and on the admin acct., it has icon on the desktop, and it shows in the finder, but in the user acct. I can't see it. I tried setting up the permissions as admin for the user, but even in there its just stuff like parental controls, and the standard mac apps. (this is logged in as admin too).

Well, it is exceedingly fast. I guess that's what four processors running on a true 64 bit system does for you. I transferred my entire 90 gb music collection over to my itunes music folder from an external HD in about 48 minutes. Itunes then processed all the music in less than 20 minutes, and now its adding my artwork. Nice.

Some of my home movies aren't playing in QT, even though others, which were encoded on the same converter, in the same format, from the same video camera are.

I went to cannon and downloaded the drivers and apps for my scanner. They downloaded to my desk top? I clicked em and well, they did something. I don't know what. I don't know where they went, or where the icons are. One icon was 'mounted' whatever the hell that means. I have a cannon printer too, I haven't loaded up those apps yet. Wanna find out whats up with where thing go on the mac here. On my PC, I had created several different folders for my applications, based on what they where, such as: IMAGING & PHOTOGRAPHY, GRAPHICS & PRINTING, DRAFTING & DRAWING, etc. This was nice becasue when you needed to uninstall something, windows always left something behind, and you could edit the registry based on the program files location string, like C:\Program Files\Imaging & Photography. It also made things nice when you wanted to add plugins and such. And it was neat and tidy. No I understand drivers and such need to go where ever they need to go, but programs, and storage of the files don't. Although, since iTunes has a default music folder, and iPhoto, and movies, I put all that stuff from my storage drives there. (So, I've already filled up a 150 GB of my first 250 GB HD.)

I have to go back through the old posts and read about the different video stuff. I know apple doesn't do WMV, but what about some conversion? Anykind of player for mac to watch these?

I have a crapload of rebate forms to fill out. UPC symbols and barcodes to cutout. Lotsa stuff to mail before the deadlines, I think I have 15 days, but if I let it go, I won't do it. I could se that money for software now!

Mike K
Administrator

Hey!

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2007, 03:39:40 AM »

I set up an admin account, and a user account, but I am confused as to how I can install an app as admin, and then make it accessable to the user account?
Admin just lets you install and uninstall stuff, other non admin accounts should have acces to using the applications.

I have the parallels pre-installed, and on the admin acct., it has icon on the desktop, and it shows in the finder, but in the user acct. I can't see it. I tried setting up the permissions as admin for the user, but even in there its just stuff like parental controls, and the standard mac apps. (this is logged in as admin too).
Parallels is a bit different, If you have installed Windows in one account it is specific to that account, in other words it places the Windows image in that users Documents folder which makes it unacceptable from other accounts. You would need to install another copy of Windows for each user or possibly put the image in a shared folder. I have Parallels boot from my Boot Camp partition, you would need to tell each user to do the same but they should all be able to boot from the same Boot Camp partition. Just run the Parallels program and set it up to do it that way.

Some of my home movies aren't playing in QT, even though others, which were encoded on the same converter, in the same format, from the same video camera are.
Huh Maybe a corruption in the transfer, try retransferring the offending files?

I went to cannon and downloaded the drivers and apps for my scanner. They downloaded to my desk top? I clicked em and well, they did something. I don't know what. I don't know where they went, or where the icons are. One icon was 'mounted' whatever the hell that means
Hard to say what happened there, unfortunately not all companies conform to the same practices. When something is mounted it usually means that a "Disk image file" was mounted, if you look at the image once mounted (Should be on your desktop and looks like a white Driev) you may need to run the installer inside that mounted disk image, that will install the actuall Software.

I have a cannon printer too, I haven't loaded up those apps yet. Wanna find out whats up with where thing go on the mac here. On my PC, I had created several different folders for my applications, based on what they where, such as: IMAGING & PHOTOGRAPHY, GRAPHICS & PRINTING, DRAFTING & DRAWING, etc. This was nice becasue when you needed to uninstall something, windows always left something behind, and you could edit the registry based on the program files location string, like C:\Program Files\Imaging & Photography. It also made things nice when you wanted to add plugins and such. And it was neat and tidy. No I understand drivers and such need to go where ever they need to go, but programs, and storage of the files don't.
Programs/Applications generally go in the Applications folder, Applications are actually Packages and these packages contain all of the components needed to run, they may install a few components elsewhere but usually most everything is self contained. Some library preferences will be added to the Library/Preferences folded but these are simple small text files.

I have to go back through the old posts and read about the different video stuff. I know apple doesn't do WMV, but what about some conversion? Anykind of player for mac to watch these?
VLC has got to be one of thes best all aorund Media programs as far as support of formats goes you can get it here:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

I have a crapload of rebate forms to fill out. UPC symbols and barcodes to cutout. Lotsa stuff to mail before the deadlines, I think I have 15 days, but if I let it go, I won't do it. I could se that money for software now!
Renates take a while to come in from any company, don't spend your rebate money too quick...

vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2007, 04:20:31 PM »

I am really liking this computer. My daughter says: "you luuuuuuuvvvvvvv iiiiittttttt!!" I told her not in the same way I do her!

My Canoscan LIDE50 (canon) scanner won't work with the Mac though. Don't know why. The scanner is powered through the USB connection, and it just doesn't seem like it's getting any power form any of the USB connections on the Mac. (I tried them all, on the box itself, as well as the ones on the front of the box, and yje usb ports on the monitor too.) Tested the scanner on my daughter's PC, (as my PC is dead as a door nail), and windows immediately recognized it, and asked for a driver disk. So I just don't know. The Canon support person was nice, and gave me step by step instructions for removing the drivers form the mac and reinstalling the scanner and it still doesn't work. Damn shame too, I really like this scanner. He's getting me into some Loyal Customer thing though, so maybe I can get another scanner to replace it at a discount or something. I really like Canon's products. I have a few, the scanner, a printer, and a digital camera.

I have been up since 4:00 playing with this thing. Except for going out grocery shopping, a car wash (the needed to be clean so I could put my apple sticker on it!) and an oil change, this is what I've been doing all weekend. My wife has begun calling the Mac "your mistress". Its been a lot of fun though. Eventually, I'll need to quit screwing around and get back to business!

I have to load/install my autocad applications into the parallels/windows and test them out. I want to make windows inaccessable to/from the internet, so I'm going to have to remember how to cripple the connection in windows. No need toeven bother with web access there, unless I have to activate my copy of windows or something. I think the techs at MacMall activated the windows installation, but I'm not sure. I read somewhere that parallels did not have access to USB, and I assume the firewire, which, if its true, is a bad thing. But it doesn't make any sense to me that it would not have support for that. I have to check it and see.

vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2007, 04:25:35 PM »

Oh, and how do I make a file that I was told to delete, delete-able? I have one file he told me to trash, but mac won't let me because: "the item can not be moved to the trash because it is open" which, I'm pretty sure, it isn't.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: