Switching To Mac Forums
November 23, 2014, 03:20:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JUMPING SHIP - need a push!  (Read 20155 times)
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 05:01:43 AM »

hey, you guys have been great. Like having a Mac Psychoanalyst. (Or cheeerleader?) I'm disappointed that there are not more postings from other readers/users of this site. Be nice to hear from them too. (I know you're out there, I can see the 'read' numbers on these posts increasing!)

The current problem with me PC is definately a hardware problem, this can happen to *any* computer, regardless of its brand. In another thread, dude's talkin 'bout his boutique PC, and they have a processor incompatable with the motherboard? Hmmm, that sounds like a fishy diagnosis to me. However, bad RAM, incompatable drivers, crappy on board sound devices, corrupted firmware, plugs forced into sockets backwards/upside down - these I've all seen and suffered from. Any joe wants to be a 'computer maker' can be. I love the one says: "Yeah that kid next door fixed my computer - he's a genius" I'm sorry, no, your nieghbor's kid is NOT a genius! Any monkey can take a card out of a box, plug it in, and load a disk. This is dangerous in the PC world, as many out of the box add in cards are incompatable with components, software, drivers, etc already on the machine. Rarely will someone search the system being repaired for such conflicts. They just throw in the card.

Since I'm kinda jumping in the deep end with my new mac, I think any problems will be solved by Apple, and not me. I chunked down the 300 bucks for the extended applecare, and that better be more than just phone support. But, after all on my PC woes, I am a firm believer in backup. I run almost a terrabyte of backup now. I do a good percentage of my work from my home office, and productivity is crucial to justify the time that shows up on my reports at work. (This weekend is a loss, since I'm preoccupied with my system crashes and the new mac.)

My thinking with the MAC is this: Apple controls all of the software and components that are in a mac. This, is a good situation, since they can control that all of the components that make up the Mac are compatable in all ways. From the RAM to the video, everything is Apple blessed. As opposed to the MS certified stuff, there are thousand of possible configurations and there is no way MS could possibly ever test them all. (We are the testers: "Would you like to send an error report to Microsoft? No personal information will be.....")

Van

"Imagination is a dangerous thing."
Mike K
Administrator

Hey!

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 10:54:18 AM »

The Apple care is a great idea as it also covers all the Apple extras you got with your Mac for the same base price, like your Apple 23 inch Monitor, Ram, Hard Drives... And of course you can call Apple for just abut any reason related to Hardware, Software or User error. Very good value!

You are right abut people thinking they are computer technicians because they know just a little bit! They are the most dangerous, but they do keep the real techs in business Wink

I do wish more people would post, I love reading spot on posts from people who nail their comments, I often learn a thing or two from them along the way...

Mike
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 10:56:14 AM by Mike K » Logged
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »

The mac arrives on thursday! yippee. Serious bummer that I have to wait till the weekend to play with it. Went online this morning to check its satus and and my entire order had "cancelled by customer" listed next to all the items... I freaked! Zipped off an email to the sales guy, and he was all "relax, I corrected your order and its under another number.." Whew!

Been reading about parallels on the forum, I'm worried about glitches with it. Any of you guys have experience with it?

Fathom
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 08:16:31 PM »

What kind of glitches have you read about? I've been running it since it's been available and have encountered little to no issues and with every release of it, it gets better and better.
Swampwood

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 11:09:23 AM »

OK.. I'm a new guy here that don't mind posting, but, I tend to display my stupididy when I do.. Grin
 I'm thinking of the big switch because I have grown very tired of constant PC glitches, crashes and unkown goblins living in my box(I can here the suckers when they should be sleeping Smiley). What has cut my last piece of cake is after 15 yrs of building my own(no.. Im not a comp. wiz) I bought my first major brand and not there cheap one..only to be dissapointed and sick, everything in it needing its drivers updated, slow when I need fast and crashes already. Autoupdates and Windows critical security updates are nighmares that I can't stand any longer.
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 11:44:49 AM »

Swampwood, you bought an off the shelf vista box? Or was this prior to vista? I'm curious, my Dad bought an off the shelf vista machine. (He loves it, but then he does nothing to really 'tax' his machine.) Myself, I just can't do it anymore. (Windows.) If I could leave windows behind entirely I would in a heartbeat. Too bad that I can't. I went at it like, if I have to buy all new hardware to run an OS that really doesn't give me anything that I can't live without, (you know, the killer app), then why should I hassle with the crap that redmond has decided I have to, *IF* I buy their OS. We'll, I didn't. Count me amongst the switchers of windows users fleeing the useless crap. I am a refugee!

John B.: I've been reading a lot on Parallels forum, and of course, most people only post to a forum when they have a problem, not when they don't. So, the majority of posts are concerning peoples problems with parallels. What I saw a the Apple Store was amazing, and it worked pretty seamlessly inside OSX. Most people have downloaded and installed parallels on their own, so it's the usuall conifurgation problems, or bad installs. But some are incompatabilities with their windows apps, or inability to access external drives and removable media in the windows OS. I need to be able to access a firewire external HD with all of my standard cadd drawings and details, a drive formatted as NTFS. I can't change that format or I won't be able to use the data on it. I'm glad to hear that you've had no working problems with the VM. Its crucial to me that it work without glitches. Although I know that I will spend oodles of time learning and playing with my new toy, part of the purpose of buying the mac is to avoid the useless waste of time that my wife likes to point out about my time on the winXP PC: "You spend more time working on fixing that computer than you do working on *work* on that computer.

Swampwood

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 11:54:50 AM »

Van.. Nope, I' got an XP(In December) I am tired of any Windows Sad  LOL.. I wish my wife would say"What are you waiting for?")

P.s. Yes John..I will use a link off of here when I do it Grin
Mike K
Administrator

Hey!

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 11:59:44 AM »

vangogh62:
I just loaded Parallels last night and pointed it to my Boot Camp as its source Windows image. Wow how cool! Parallels unmounts your Windnows partition and then Boots from it so now you can use the same Windows install in Boot Camp or in Parallels. I was also playing with the "Coherence" mode which gets rid of the Windows Dektop, just the Windows Toolbar remains at the bottom of your Mac OS X finder window, very freaky, right now I have Windows full screen on my external monitor and Mac OS X on my main. The only funny stuff I have seen so far is sometimes when Parallels unmounts and trys to boot from the Windows Boot Camp partition it wil fail to find the image? I just hit the Green start button again and it usually works the second time, no biggy.

Swampwood:
Thanks for your support! Good luck with your wife, that can be the hardest part, getting it past the boss Wink
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 11:42:41 AM by Mike K » Logged
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 06:16:34 AM »

The mac is close! UPS puts it about 10 miles from me right now, and it's on the truck for delivery. Vey cool. My PC took another dump on me this morning, the infamous "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTEMCONFIG is either missing or corrupted. Please insert the windows install cd rom and select 'r' for repair." Love it, seen it at least 30 times. Maybe thats what fried my HD, all the re-imaging of the drive. (By the way, inserting the install cd and selecting 'r' doesn't really do anything special for ya, so I just re-image my drive everytime it's happened.) So this morning, I get that message, and I immediately pop in my ghost disk and begin the re-imaging. It takes like 2 hours, so, as my drive heated up from the constant use, the system crashed about half way through the imaging. Don't know if I'll be able to keep that drive up long enough to image it completely. Which in the windows world means I'm f'ed for the moment. I'm gonna try to see if my sys admin has a spare drive lying around that I can use to test out my machine. But, I just need some settings from it and some other stuff, MAC arrives today you monster! And you're going to the shelf for future DISPOSAL.

Knigar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 09:51:44 AM »

You will have loads of funw ith your MAc, i don't knwo if you have been reading my posts, it is a bit daunting using a MAc for the first time, but after the first ten minutes it just feels natural (not so liek its distant cousin ( I mean very distant) the PC which **** up all the time), I have had no problems with it at all, i do need to get soem software though, I am not sure to get iworks or ms office and there is no way I am installing XP or Vista on it, the Mac does everything I want it to an more and the ease, I never want to go back to a PC but unfortunately I think i have to as I use  them in workk daily, I have suggested that we upgrade to Macs, my boss replied no f***ing way.  Shocked
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2007, 10:17:45 AM »

Yeah everybody that knows I'm getting the mac today thinks I'm a nut job. They all use PC's and everything that we run is strictly PC/WinXP software. I am so peeved at the PC right now, the 'man' says he threw out all the old hard drives!!! Why??? Now I'm gonna have to go buy one and install it in the old machine myself - I hate that!

Of course your boss said no way. Costs and software availability and costs are major concerns for most employers. I suggested that my company purchase a PC for me to use at home on THEIR WORK, because I am getting the mac and don't want to deal with the bullcrap on my new, expensive computer - he snickered at me. If I didn't make so much extra money on the over time work that I perform at home, I would say "I won't do any more OT untill you provide the tools for me to do it." They would reply "Come in to the office if you want overtime." Which is basically a mexican standoff: They don't get the work done and I don't get the money. There's no way I'm spending my weekends and evenings in the office. At least at home I can do what I want, work when I want, break when I want, and I have my own bathroom and kitchen there!

Mike K
Administrator

Hey!

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2007, 11:54:10 AM »

Knigar:
Give NeoOffice a try, I have been playing around with it for about a week now and am very impressed at it's usability and compatability with MS office, The fact that it's free means you can try before you buy (or should I say buy MS Office for Mac)

Link to Article:
http://www.switchingtomac.com/wp/where-did-the-word-processor-go/

Link to NeoOffice:
http://download.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

vangogh62:
Your new machine will use SATA drives not sure of you could of used the old ones if they where IDE old that is.

Keep on plugin, it's guys like you that open doors for others like your coworkers, over time it will wear on them and they may even open up to you and your Mac. I have an IBM server technician friend that has been giving me a hard time about Apple for years, now he owns an iMac 24 inch, he sold his home PC outright. It all started with an iPod Nano and iTunes.

Get them using iTunes, The first one is alwasy freeeeeee Smiley
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2007, 12:48:29 PM »

It's here. And it's causing some interest. "Who got a MAC?!" I did, and I want to take it home and sleep with it! Can I leave early? Grin

Mike K
Administrator

Hey!

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 01:41:18 AM »

Your probably playing with it rigth now! Apple sure makes the box opening part pleasurable, I am sure we'll here all about it in due time...
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2007, 07:16:07 AM »

Wow, uh, yeah. Without a doubt, it is one sweet machine. Last night was a trip. YES! Just opening the boxes was a joy. You are so right when you say apple has a way of packaging stuff that it is truly enjoyable to unpack it. (Although, when macmall repacked my box after doing my BTO, they busted some of the styrofoam packing, and had a million little pieces of the crap stuck to everything in the box.)

Some things are different than I expected upon my setup, I believe because macmall had to install my windows and parallels. (And oh, they stuck this stupid big ugly windows license sticker on the side of the macpro's case, which I can't get off.) When I booted up the first time I expected it to go through a setup process for the internet and for me to create and admin & a user account for myself, which it didn't. So, I have to get myself set up with a user account for me, and a admin account for me to use. I have not been able to connect to the internet. Which really was my first priority when I got it set up. I don't think it's the mac's fault, or that there is a problem with my connection, I think I need to just correctly set up my camcast account for the new computer.

I called comcast last night at around 10:30 to get server info and passwords from them for that setup, but as soon as I mentioned "It's a MAC." the girl started stuttering and giving me the run around, and trying to tell me this "is how vista does it..." Obviously, she has not been trained for anything but the deluge of callers they have switching over to vista. So, I was like "look, just give me the mail server names and password, and the news server name and passwords, and I'll figure it out." Well, the Mac wants a little more info than that. I'm not sure if I connect by way of TCP\IP or PPPoE, or DCHP or what. At the very LEAST, this girl should have clued me in on that. Now when I get home today, I'm going to have to call back, and ask for someone to walk me through the setup. I absolutely must have a connection to the net. If my old computer would not have died, I would copy these settings from it, but I can't even get the thing to stay alive long enough to re-image the drive. So, I need the twit at comcast to help me out. Unfortunately, tonight I have a 25th anniversary party to attend, which I can't get out of...

Took me a while to figure out why it would not play sounds from my speaker system, gee, I gotta tell it to do that.

Have not hooked up my scanner or external HD's yet, I'll get around to it. My Logitech wireless USB 3 button mouse works no problems. I was gonna hook up the apple mouse, but that thing is just weird. As far as I can tell, my mpeg coverter won't work with it either, which bums me out 'cause it cost me like a hundred bucks, just less than a year ago. I have to get my analog video into it somehow, so I'm going to have to spend some more money on a converter that is mac compatable.

I found some older software that I had which was mac/windows versions, but I think it's from a time when mac was running like on OS8 or 9, will it work with the OS X? Like will that rosetta you guys talked about make these old programs work? Is rosetta part of OS X? or Do I have to buy it? I have one program from way back, "Art Dabbler" which is a painting program, it's actually Mac OS/Win98, you think it will work? I got a wacom pad too, and this would be cool to try it out on.

The computer is so so so quiet, I can barely tell when it's running. Very beautiful too, all the connections, the ports, the inside!! My gosh, its like "so this is what it's supposed to be like!" I am very pleased with it. My old PC sounds like a herrier jet taking off. So loud I can't hear anything else, but this is silent. I really need the internet though, so I can ask you guys questions when they arrise, and get to the knowledge base and stuff.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: