Switching To Mac Forums
July 24, 2014, 03:24:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My board has died...  (Read 3096 times)
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« on: March 23, 2010, 06:06:55 PM »

I am very regretful that this board has become so... dead. I've been very busy lately, my wife is ill an very irretable, I've been busy working, trying to hold onto my job. Since the biatch can't fo diddly, I am the only one to take care of her, and my daughter. (Thank god for my daughter, the only shining light in life right now). But I've still managed to drop into S2M every once in a wgile to see if anyone's been posting.

There are a few new posters, names I've never seen before. I welcome you. I hope you enjoy your Macs as much as I do. being that I have no time to chase down PC problems anymore, Mac has been wonderful in that I have not had any. I am still running Leopard, haven't bothered to switch to Snow Leopard. I just didn't see the point om spending the money on the new OS since everything is working so perfectly on the MacPro. I've been adding a lot of movies to my itunes library, (oh, and excuse the mispelling, I've developed a tatse for single malt scotch, since my wife decided I'm no longer allowed to do what I prefer...) I've rented a few movies from iTunes, and bought a few. I bought the entire "Resident Evil" series, great movies, and Mila Jovovich is a sweet babe. I rented "District 9" which was way cool, but I didn't really like the 'documentary' style to it. Also rented "V" last night, and thought it was good, but I expected more action and adventure from it.

I decided last thursday that I was slowing down a bit, and went to OtherWorld Computing to shop around for some extra memory for the MacPro. I took the jump and bought 8 gigs of RAM suited to this MacPro, 667Mhz, 2Gigs per stick, 4 sticks matched with my existing two gigs that were installed by MacMall when I bought the Mac. Now I have 10 gigs total, and things are running just so sweet. I'm hoping that I will find time to make some more animations and artwork, maybe get into some more editing of my home movies. (All depends on time.) But the 10 Gigs is nice, I mean really nice. The wife went bonkers when I told her it cost 300 bucks, but she doesn't realize just how cheap that is, considering I spent 600 bucks on 6 megs of RAM for 286 IBM in 1990. Things have changed a lot since then.

I've been coveting an AirPort Extreme since my neighbor figured out I was glomming onto their unsecured WiFi with my iPod Touch. I can no longer connect to the internet with it from the garage where I smore and drink my coffee in the mornings. If I get the WiFi router, I'm going to also get a white polycarbonite MacBook 13" to play with. I figure I better spend some of my money before the wicked witch of the west spends it all, or gets it in a divorce.

I'm also thinking of a  second Apple Cinema Display, but seeing as I have a almost new GE flat panel sitting on the desk behind me unused, it's kinda unlikey. But the GE doesn't match!! I want all Apple.

You all used to be able to see my set up when Mike K. ran the board, but the new (not so new now), site owner killed all those old pages and links. I got a pretty nice setup.

I'm missing my old friends from here, James, Mordak, Mike, Stan, Dut, Jason (I still see Jason on Deviant Art), last, but certainly not least, Sam. Sam I hope you're still making movies. Email me with your youtube link, I want to see what you've been up to.

Well, my scotch has run dry, it's time to get a refill. Later.

-Van

"Imagination is a dangerous thing."
Mordak5
Global Moderator

iPhone Happy!

jim_dd7@mac.com jim_dd7@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 06:59:23 AM »

Still nip on for a look see, but the board has been really quite for a long time now. I guess also that as I have had my iMac for a while now April 2007 I have not had to post any questions, its just going on for a chat.

I think that a lot of people now keep in contact via facebook and tweeting, which is a bit of a pain, as every time I get a message I feel the need to reply, using a board is much better cos I can reply. Also the iPhone App for facebook is too handy.

I would like to see the board get a bit busier, but I suspect that its not going to happen, I think the answer may be to start a facebook version of the site, and then it would be running in real time and people may be more inclined to post.

Hope things work out ok for you, and hope to hear from you and anyone else on the board soon.

Sam

s.wheatley87@googlemail.com Samsy1487
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 07:12:22 AM »

RSS killed this place for me, well not killed it, but before I used to pop in, read the threads and post something just to natter whether I had any information on the problem at hand or not.  Now that I have RSS links straight to my inbox I know straight off the bat whether I can help or not.

My career is moving on too; I now teach more and am looking at joining the full time course team (although still teaching part time), along with my corporate work beefing up a lot.

I've been working on a short film for the best part of 5 months, putting everything together and I will be shooting the week beginning the 5th April and should last about a week.  The last film of my own that I worked on was the opening to a thriller for a school that I volunteer at (although sadly, I think my time there is coming to an end as I just don't have the time to make a constant commitment) called We Are Who We Are.

I've been working on a few other things that I haven't uploaded, but some shots are included in the next thing I'm going to talk about:

This is my Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/user/Sam1487?feature=mhw4

There is a video on there that you can't see as I uploaded it for a job that I am applying for (Video Production Manager).  It's just a showreel of some of the stuff that I have worked on but if you want to see it I can send you the link.  It's only a minute long but I'm quite pleased with it.  There are a few things on it that I want to get rid of (as I put them in purely for the job I applied for and I wouldn't include on a reel sent to film studios).  If you're interested in seeing it give me a bell and I'll send you the download link.

I put up to 10GB in my mac in October 2008 and i've never looked back.  The only problem is that now when I want to work anywhere else, everything moves painfully slow.  I'm still on the two macs that I bought over three years ago.  My laptop could do with a new battery, it's not bad, but no where as good as it used to be.  Might pop some more RAM in there eventually, but all my money is going in to my short film for the time being.

Sorry to hear that things aren't going so well at home Van, but, having experienced it myself, I truly hope that it sorts itself out.

Not much more to talk about at the moment, and I need to get back to lesson planning and short film planning. Smiley

www.youtube.com/sam1487

Thankks for rememdering the heyboard, I amm u_sing it right now~ and it works gre>at...
Sam

s.wheatley87@googlemail.com Samsy1487
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 03:26:40 AM »

Just an update, Jimmy says that he is unable to use the site - everytime he posts it only allows for 10 words or so.  He wanted me to let you know that he is reading the forum, but just can't reply Smiley

www.youtube.com/sam1487

Thankks for rememdering the heyboard, I amm u_sing it right now~ and it works gre>at...
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 07:30:36 AM »

Well I'm glad a few of you are still coming by to look. Thanks for the link Sam, I'm going to go watch your movies later when I have some time and evil bitch is not on my back.

This morning is busy for a Saturday, have to take the kid to religion class and the (ugh) wife to get an MRI.

Jimmy, what is the problem? Seems weird that you can't post more than ten words. What browser are you using? have tried alternate browsers like firefox or opera?

I'll try to catch up with you on iChat when time permits, I have a cam now so maybe we talk for real and not just text.

-Van

Mordak5
Global Moderator

iPhone Happy!

jim_dd7@mac.com jim_dd7@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 03:25:36 AM »

Life moves on, and finding time to post and read stuff can be a problem, I find that as my daughter gets older, my time to do stuff get to be less and less, more taxi driver less computer dude lol.

JamesJM

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 11:43:48 AM »

Well I'm glad a few of you are still coming by to look. Thanks for the link Sam, I'm going to go watch your movies later when I have some time and evil bitch is not on my back.

This morning is busy for a Saturday, have to take the kid to religion class and the (ugh) wife to get an MRI.

Jimmy, what is the problem? Seems weird that you can't post more than ten words. What browser are you using? have tried alternate browsers like firefox or opera?

I'll try to catch up with you on iChat when time permits, I have a cam now so maybe we talk for real and not just text.

-Van

Don't know, Van.  Tried many Browsers - JamesJM
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 08:09:53 PM »

Jimmy was good to vid chat with you tonight, glad I caught you online. Nice family too. (Big family!)

Mordak, yeah, I know the drill. Life gets busy. Don't like it but it is what it is.

Sam, I watched the movies. I'm glad you're working. Always liked your stuff.

Hey MIKE K !!! you out there buddy?

I still see Jason at DeviantArt, he's been busy. I'm using another one of his creations as my new background. It's sweet too, the mac/apple logo in black on a star field of purple.

Hey noobies! Go ahead and get your mac, you won't be sorry.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: