Switching To Mac Forums
August 01, 2014, 11:31:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Macs and Telescopes... a shot in the dark...  (Read 1291 times)
JamesJM

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2009, 08:05:36 PM »

I'm very aware that the chances I'll connect with someone here that knows about this stuff are slim at best... doesn't hurt to ask though does it?

I have an old Super Polaris 8"... nice telescope, but I'd like one with GOTO technology AND the ability to connect to a MAC computer.... would any of you happen to know anything about this?  - JamesJM
Mordak5
Global Moderator

iPhone Happy!

jim_dd7@mac.com jim_dd7@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:34:13 AM »

Sorry can't help.
StanTheMan
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 03:07:53 PM »

No idea or experience in such matters, BUT by the power of the great 'G' in the sky [oh, I left the oogle off  Grin] may I bring you:

Courtesy of:- GoTo (telescopes) From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would seem that the only real problem is sourcing a matching Mounting for your particular Telescope, and then the 'problem' of paying for the kit Shocked.

Best regards, Stan

Iyadwyhadywagwyhag   From the Celtic                  S2M with a Mac Pro 12 Feb 2008
JamesJM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 05:26:36 PM »

No idea or experience in such matters, BUT by the power of the great 'G' in the sky [oh, I left the oogle off  Grin] may I bring you:

Courtesy of:- GoTo (telescopes) From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would seem that the only real problem is sourcing a matching Mounting for your particular Telescope, and then the 'problem' of paying for the kit Shocked.

Hey, Thanks Stan!  Yeah.. the GoTo's are the beginning.  The problem is the software... I'm  not finding many applications for astronomy that are Mac friendly.  GoTo's are the mechanics... it's after that where I'm striking out. - JamesJM
StanTheMan
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:22:58 AM »

Silly me Embarrassed there I go 'trusting' a supplier again.

I cannot believe that this GoTo Kit is inexpensive and assumed, quite wrongly apparently, that it would be part and parcel of the hardware.
Clearly the Kit is not going to function without it.
I will keep an eye on how you progress James, cannot afford the time at present to dig deeper myself.
Good luck.

Best regards, Stan

Iyadwyhadywagwyhag   From the Celtic                  S2M with a Mac Pro 12 Feb 2008
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: