Switching To Mac Forums
September 02, 2014, 01:49:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first BIG OS X complaint.  (Read 2889 times)
jasonh1234

View Profile WWW
« on: December 18, 2007, 10:47:18 PM »

Ok. Searching for files is a serious weakness in OS X.

If I want to search for a file that's a certain size... SOL
If I want to search for files that are .BMP only... SOL
Granted I could do a search in spotlight for kind:images and then switch to list view, sort by kind, and then manually select only the BMPs but that's stupid. I should at least be able to search for "Kind:bmp"

I'm in absolute awe that I can't just do a search of a specific location, for a specific file type or attribute, select all, & delete.

Wow.

Update: I just found out that searching for "kind:bitmap" works whereas "kind:bmp" doesn't. (Stupid)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:50:32 PM by jasonh1234 » Logged

Recent Switcher. Traded in Vista for Mac Mini. Now moved up to a 17" MacBook Pro 2.6Ghz
Visit my Blog at: VistaSucks.WordPress.Com
JamesJM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:05:54 PM »

Ok. Searching for files is a serious weakness in OS X.

If I want to search for a file that's a certain size... SOL
If I want to search for files that are .BMP only... SOL
Granted I could do a search in spotlight for kind:images and then switch to list view, sort by kind, and then manually select only the BMPs but that's stupid. I should at least be able to search for "Kind:bmp"

I'm in absolute awe that I can't just do a search of a specific location, for a specific file type or attribute, select all, & delete.

Wow.

Update: I just found out that searching for "kind:bitmap" works whereas "kind:bmp" doesn't. (Stupid)

I'm going to let someone else handle this who does searches more than I do... it's not something I do that often...

BUT... I think you can do everything you list... I opened up spotlight and typed in .bmp and WHAM... there they were. 

I also opened up Finder and set the spotlight search box criteria to SIZE and WHAM... there it was. 

So my guess is that all you say if more than possible... and hopefully someone will be along soon who can explain it better. - JamesJM
Mike K
Administrator

Hey!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:06:21 PM »

Two different OS's with two different approaches to things, there are no doubt going to be things you like better in one or the other and if they both had the exact same features then there wouldn't really be a Window vs Mac debate.

I imagine you're not the only person who likes the type of file search you mentioned, maybe there is an application that will do this for you on the Mac. Check this one out...

http://macmagna.free.fr/FileFinder/
JamesJM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 11:11:23 PM »

Two different OS's with two different approaches to things, there are no doubt going to be things you like better in one or the other and if they both had the exact same features then there wouldn't really be a Window vs Mac debate.

I imagine you're not the only person who likes the type of file search you mentioned, maybe there is an application that will do this for you on the Mac. Check this one out...

http://macmagna.free.fr/FileFinder/

Ok, apparently I'm missing the gist of this here....

But when I open finder and go to the spotlight search box... then click the "+" I can set any SIZE search I want... AND SAVE the search.  This is not what you guys are talking about? - JamesJM
jasonh1234

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 11:15:23 PM »

I think I did something wrong earlier because yes now I can narrow a search by size. perhaps it's because I was searching for bmp and under 10kb when OS X didn't return any results at all for bmp

Recent Switcher. Traded in Vista for Mac Mini. Now moved up to a 17" MacBook Pro 2.6Ghz
phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 01:26:51 AM »

If you're in leopard type your query in a finder window (not the spotlight thing at the top right)

On the right side of the bar that pops up is a + sign. Press it

Choose images from the second drop-down menu and then bmp from the one that pops up to the right of it.

If you want, press the + again, choose other and select "size" from the menu that appears.

I apologize for the terrible editing. I was using Seashore, sadly not the most powerful graphics editor.
Sam

s.wheatley87@googlemail.com Samsy1487
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 09:20:11 AM »

Quick Question (there is no hash symbol on the apple keyboards) 57

What does SOL mean?

www.youtube.com/sam1487

Thankks for rememdering the heyboard, I amm u_sing it right now~ and it works gre>at...
vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 10:38:33 AM »

What does SOL mean?

Sh*t out of luck

"Imagination is a dangerous thing."
jasonh1234

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 06:53:28 AM »

Been a while now since this original post (almost exactly a year later!)
but I came back all this time later to add something I've found....

http://members.optusnet.com.au/frovil/spotlaser.html

Nice little search add-on

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: