Switching To Mac Forums
December 20, 2014, 09:22:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone, is it all the hype says it is?  (Read 18580 times)
Dut
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« on: November 28, 2007, 01:22:19 PM »

Has anybody bought an iPhone yet? I'm thinking of getting one but I'd like to know what they're like from someone who has actually used one and not someone who is trying to sell me one! In the U.K they retail for around £269 and must admit I've seen some good reviews. But nothing beats opinions of owners rather than testers. Any info greatly appreciated .

Sam

s.wheatley87@googlemail.com Samsy1487
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »

I'm thinking about buying one, but not to actually use as a phone per se, more, to take apart and fiddle with it, and hack the system on it, and see what I can do with it.

But almost £300 is a lot of money to spend on something just to take to bits.

www.youtube.com/sam1487

Thankks for rememdering the heyboard, I amm u_sing it right now~ and it works gre>at...
Dut
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 01:34:56 PM »

I was the same with cars and I don't even have a license! I wouldn't dare spend that amount just to "learn" about it, my wife would... well I don't even want to think about it! But I understand where your coming from Sam. Anyway I thought Uni students were always broke? Don't tell me Hollyoaks is lying to me.  Cheesy

vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 01:49:09 PM »

Have you played with one of these things? I had some down time in an Apple store a few weeks after the iPhone was released, and although it was hard connected to the store's network, it was just so cool. At least in Britain you'll be using the O2 network and not AT&T's craptastic "Edge" network. The worst thing about iPhone here in the states besides it's price is the AT&T service that they lock you into. After the iPhone came out, I wrote a rant about the service plan's cost which Mike used on the main page. http://www.switchingtomac.com/wp/iphone-reality-check/

Seriously, though, this is by far the coolest toy of the year.

"Imagination is a dangerous thing."
JamesJM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 02:03:36 PM »

Has anybody bought an iPhone yet? I'm thinking of getting one but I'd like to know what they're like from someone who has actually used one and not someone who is trying to sell me one! In the U.K they retail for around £269 and must admit I've seen some good reviews. But nothing beats opinions of owners rather than testers. Any info greatly appreciated .

Nope, don't have one... but I did get my son an iPod Touch for his birthday and Christmas coming up.  He is down from Oregon right now for the Thanksgiving holidays and I have been playing with it.

Ok, so what does an iPod Touch have to do with an iPhone... welllll, it's sorta, kinda, an iPhone without the 'phone' part.  And my opinion is... I LOVE the dang thing.  Mostly because it's just so dang 'COOL'. 

Like most people I'm tied into a cell phone contract at the moment... I'll be free of it mid-Dec.  Yup, only about 3 weeks.  So until now I've not entertained an iPhone purchase very seriously.  And the truth is:  I don't use, or even like, a cell phone very much.  STILL... playing with my son's iPod Touch has given root to some serious lusting.

I have no idea if I'll get one.  And even if I did it would be for the Internet access more than anything.  However, there are some features that I'm SURE will be added in the semi-near future that I'll probably wait for... mostly... GPS.  - JamesJM

Dut
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 02:12:50 PM »

James you make a valid point, and Van your post makes me feel like a kid in a sweet shop!  Cheesy When they first came out over here people were sleeping in front of the stores to be the "first" to own one! I'm the sort of guy who thinks "why should I pay top whack now when in six months to a year I can get it for 3/4 of the price, but does Apple hardware depreciate like that? I've been reading reviews on Macs and other Apple stuff and the answer seems to be no they tend to hold their value better and longer. I'm just wondering if this is true.

vangogh62

vangogh062
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 02:43:20 PM »

This is what really suprised the ba-jeevers outta me, that Mac's actually retain value over time. No, they don't appreciate value, and in fact they do depreciate, but I have 2 PC's at home right now which are basically useless and just as worthless.

Mike turned me on to some sites where you can actually trade in an old mac, or re-sell it, or buy as used mac. Something I have never been able to do with one of my PC's.

"Imagination is a dangerous thing."
Dut
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 02:56:57 PM »

Well at least its good to know that my £1700 Macbook today won't be a £700 Macbook next month! Thanks Van  Smiley

Sam

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 06:00:39 PM »

Most are, but that's because they go out drinking a hell of a lot, or don't do film work on the side of their course.  I manage my money well Smiley

The thing I don't like about the O2 thing here, is that the contract is £35 a month.  My brother pays that on Orange and gets a hell of a lot of texts and minutes compared to the piss-poor amount of "freebies" you get with the O2 contract.

www.youtube.com/sam1487

Thankks for rememdering the heyboard, I amm u_sing it right now~ and it works gre>at...
Dut
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 03:57:38 AM »

Funny thing with O2 is that if you go directly to them their service isn't all that. But if you go through a third party like Carphone Warehouse you get better customer service. I only say this from using O2 direct for three years and having about 4 correct bills in that time.

Dut
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »

Hmm, We have a chain of shops in the U.K called CEX, no they're not adult shops! They are in fact a chain of second hand electronics goods shops. Stuff like Games consoles, laptops, Cell phones etc.

I went into my local shop and I saw about three iPhones on sale, they're all "unlocked", that is to say not tied to any contract. The cheapest was £439, which is $870.539, I know the iphones are contract free but does that sound like a a lot of pennies to be asking?

I know if I was to get an iPhone on a contract for 18 months I'd be paying around £869 in total, but I wouldn't notice it so much as it would be in monthly installments. Apart from the cost of the iPhone of course which is around £239 I think. I just wanted t get peoples opinions on if they thought it was a good buy at that price?

Mordak5
Global Moderator

iPhone Happy!

jim_dd7@mac.com jim_dd7@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 01:50:24 PM »

Dont know about the Iphone, but got a change to play with the iTouch today, wow!

I had thought about the iPod classic, but the interface is a bit slow conmpaired to the iTouch and Nano, so I think the Nano or the Touch would be my choice, in which case it then become an easy choice. it come down to which you can afford.  Cheesy
Dut
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 03:33:58 PM »

I can't afford either  Cheesy

But it's nice to dream for now.

Sam

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 06:26:51 AM »

My problem with the iPhone, and to a similiar degree the iPod touch is that all it's screen is used and there are no buttons.

I always keep my iPod in my pocket seperate from anything else so that it stays as pristine as possible (I'm incredibly anal for stuff like that - laptops, computers, games, all manner of posessions).

But for phones, for the last few years (read: 5) I've been using friends and family's old phones, and most recently the phone that my brother had while he was on contract when he upgraded to a new phone back in October.  Now 'luckily' for me, my brother is far more careless than I am, and most of his stuff is broken, and a lot it from being bashed around.

So I have a phone off him, that is no where near pristine, the whole phone is scuffed in some degree, including the screen.  So I have no problem putting it in the same pocket as my keys, my pen (always, always carry a pen), and any other thing that needs to go in that pocket.

If I had the iPhone, I would still be carrying my iPod with me thanks to the ridiculously small memory.  Granted, my playlist would fit lovely on it (I didn't realise you could just place playlists on an iPod until I played with a friends Nano), but the way I like to work, and to keep space on my MBP hard drive free is to put my iPod into disk mode, manually manage music, and be able to plug it into my laptop that way.  This then allows me to see which music I want to use in a piece and then slide it in when I get home to my Mac Pro.

Which means I would need to find an extra pocket to put things in so that my iPhone doesn't get scratched.

My final problem, which goes for both the phone and touch, is that it has no buttons.  I usually listen to music in my car by using an iTrip, and if I don't like the song, or not in the mood for it, I like to skip on.  I can do this without looking with my iPod 80 at the moment, but if you take away the buttons, it's just going to lead to me fumbling around for a button and most likely cause an accident.

So, for the iPod touch at least, it would be a case of only buying one when I had some spare cash for one and wanted a "one for the week, one for Sunday best" scenario.  The iPhone needs to drastically upgrade its memory, and get off of O2 before I go anywhere near it without hacking in mind.

Also, Dut, if you haven't already, don't go through the Carphone Warehouse.  Laura's Dad did that, and in his bid to cancel his contract, they have managed to charge him an extra month for it because they fanny around and don't get the forms off to him.  They cut him off loads of times, one woman tried to hang up before she had taken the details of where to send the forms, or where to apply to to get a release code, and another called him a "t**t".

Carphone Warehouse = bad.

www.youtube.com/sam1487

Dut
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 11:15:04 AM »

I'm with O2 through Carphone Warehouse at the moment..... oh bugger!  Cry

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: